TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. TRIUMF is as diverse in our areas of expertise, people, and cultures, as we are in our career opportunities, and we are constantly seeking dynamic team players who thrive on creativity, excellence in service, and a busy environment.
Our Project Management Office (PMO) is responsible for oversight and governance of all projects at TRIUMF, from conception to completion. Currently, the PMO is seeking a Project Manager for a venture which involves the on-site construction of a new multi-million dollar facility for the Institute for Advanced Medical Isotopes (IAMI), which will include a TR24 cyclotron for producing medical isotopes. The anticipated start date is January 2nd, 2018, and the project duration is estimated to span a 30 month employment contract period.
In this role, you will work to collect requirements from stakeholders, prepare a construction tender package, supervise the general contractor and ensure the facility is built and commissioned to meet design specifications. You will have responsibility in terms of scope, budget, schedule and resources. Specifics include:
- Initiating a planning and engagement process with team members and stakeholders to develop and maintain a resource analysis
- Responsibility for creating and maintaining the project plan, including consulting with relevant stakeholders and incorporating lessons learned as the project moves along
- Working with the project team to develop and document concepts and requirements, including design coordination with other disciplines
- Developing project management documents that are needed to deliver on project objectives
- Coordinating vendors and contractors, and ensuring the project is completed on time, on specification and on budget
- The position may also require you to be trained on site to be designated as a TRIUMF nuclear energy worker
As a seasoned and self-directed project manager, you will also be expected to:
- Foster a sense of collaboration and teamwork, and work effectively with all stakeholders
- Effectively chair project meetings and use minutes, schedule and budget to keep team efforts aligned; you may also be required to chair concept or design reviews
- Periodically report progress to the IAMI project leadership and to TRIUMF management
While the position is expected to be fully dedicated to the IAMI project, you will also have an opportunity to assist in achieving the broader mandate of the PMO and may also manage smaller TRIUMF projects.
If you are excited by the prospect of joining our PMO and becoming an integral part of bringing this critical piece of infrastructure to TRIUMF, we encourage you to apply. During an interview you will be asked to elaborate to the hiring committee how your skills, training and experience match the following position requirements:
· Forward thinking with strong problem solving skills, sound technical and management judgment, attention to detail, and prioritization.
· Strong abilities in project planning, including resource estimations and developing appropriate performance indicators.
· Demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in a dynamic environment to meet the high demands of a complex and high profile project.
· Ability to work effectively in the face of ambiguity, shifting priorities and rapid change.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to build teams and to forge effective working relationships
· Proven leadership skills and the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with diverse stakeholders, including contractors, scientists, engineers, technicians, and admin staff
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Project and Excel, and strong technical documentation skills
· A university degree in an applied science or engineering field or the equivalent
· At least 10 years of project management experience, and demonstrated results leading major projects. Preference will be given to those applicants with a PMP designation.
· Experience and/or knowledge in any or all of the following areas will be considered strong assets: construction of research facilities; pharmaceutical industry’s good manufacturing practices (GMP); or pharmaceutical or radiopharmaceutical business
TRIUMF offers a creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant individuals. We are located in Pacific Spirit Park on the campus of the University of British Columbia in beautiful Vancouver, BC. On-site amenities include a café, showers and secure bicycle storage.
This contract position offers a comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, vacation and an excellent opportunity to enhance your PM career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
· Subject line: Competition #604
· Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until 2017-11-24