TRIUMF, Canada’s national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science, is an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
More than a hundred Canadian researchers from across the country, including TRIUMF researchers, are collaborating on an international experiment called ATLAS at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) near Geneva, Switzerland. The experiment is designed to help us find answers to the most fundamental questions about what the universe is made of and how it works. The TRIUMF-ATLAS ITk group is involved in the construction of improved silicon based tracking detectors. TRIUMF’s specific responsibility is to produce about 1000 ITk silicon-strip detector modules, which will be mounted on carbon-fibre structures for installation in ATLAS. Prototyping will take place in 2018, pre-production (5%) in 2019 and full production in 2020.
We are currently recruiting an intermediate level Production Assistant to join our team on a temporary project basis, and participate in all steps of detector assembly, and other related tasks during the prototyping and the production phases. If you are a detail orientated, safety and quality conscious team player looking to gain technical experience, this may be the right opportunity for you.
Responsibilities associated with this initial 1 year term position include, but are not limited to:
· Participating in and optimizing all steps in the assembly of the ATLAS silicon detector modules
· Using state of the art equipment to achieve assembly goals, including fully automatic wire bonding machines, pull testers, and clean-room vacuum tools
- Performing quality assurance and metrology using optical CMM, 3D microscope, and electrical testing equipment including a probe station and custom DAQ electronics
- Optimizing UV glue deposition/curing for module assembly and carrying out silicon detector module metrology
- Contributing to research and development towards the fully automated placement of silicon detector modules onto larger carbon-fibre detector structure using a robotic gantry (pick-and-place) system
Minimum qualifications include:
- High school graduation with courses in mechanical or electrical technology. Preference given to applicants with a relevant technical diploma or degree.
- Good skills in the use of computer assisted assembly tools
- Mechanical and electrical aptitude with experience in technical assembly work with quality assurance
- Commitment to quality assurance and a high attention to detail
- MS Excel knowledge and experience
- Familiarity with the mechanical and/or electrical properties of materials considered an asset
- Experience in a cleanroom environment also considered an asset
TRIUMF offers a creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant individuals. We are located in Pacific Spirit Park on the campus of the University of British Columbia in beautiful Vancouver, BC. On-site amenities include a café, showers and secure bicycle storage.
The grant funded, temporary position offers a comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, vacation and an excellent opportunity to enhance your technical career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada for the duration of the contract.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 617
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until January 31st, 2018