The Beausoleil First Nation is looking for a Principal with experience supervising and evaluating teachers and support staff, working in a First Nation schools, teaching, and in creating a cohesive, stimulating and enriching learning environment for students from Kindergarten to Grade 8. The Principal serves as the educational leader, responsible for managing the policies, regulations and procedures to ensure that students are supervised in a safe school environment. Due to the aims and objectives of the Beausoleil First Nation with respect to First Nation culture and the infusion of Indigenous knowledge into the curriculum,.
Applicants must have:
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree or higher with Principal qualifications.
- Valid OCT Certification (must provide copy along with application package)
- Detailed resume demonstrating teaching experience (5 years minimum) and at least 3 years senior administrative experience as Principal.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Curriculum- K – Grade 8
- Demonstrated knowledge of Special Education, including IEP’s and assessments
- Energy, enthusiasm and superior organizational ability.
- Copies of Evaluation Reports (must provide copies with application package)
- Commitment to the students, parents and community
- Clear Criminal Reference check and Vulnerable Persons Screening Report (to be provided upon offer of employment)
- In-depth knowledge of the culture, tradition and aspirations of Aboriginal people.
- Experience working within a First Nation education system.
- Computer literacy in various software packages- including Microsoft Office and FN Reporting software.
§ Establish and promote high standards and expectations for students and staff for academic performance.
§ Manage, evaluate and supervise effective and clear procedures for the operation and functioning of the school consistent with the philosophy, values and goals of the First nation and the Ontario curriculum including instructional programs, extracurricular activities, discipline systems, climate, building maintenance, program evaluation, personnel management, office operations and emergency procedures.
§ Establish an annual master schedule for instructional programs.
§ Supervise instructional programs, evaluating lesson plans and observing classes on a regular basis to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies.
§ Establish procedures for the evaluation and selection of instructional materials.
§ Supervise attendance systems and interact with parents related to attendance issues.
§ Ensure a safe, orderly environment that encourages students to take responsibility for their actions.
§ Establish a professional rapport with students and staff through the display of high ethical and professional behavior.
§ Coordinate testing of annual evaluations (e.g. CTBS, EQAO)
§ Notify appropriate agencies and/or personnel where there is evidence of abuse, neglect, severe medical or social conditions.
§ Continuously work on school improvement.
§ Establish procedures and assume responsibility for the health, safety and wellbeing of students and staff.
§ Communicate regularly with parents, seeking support and advice so as to create a cooperative learning environment.
§ Communicate regularly with the BEAC about opportunities, successes and general operation of the school.
§ Organize and supervise procedures for identifying and addressing special needs of students including: physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs.
§ Nurture both students and teachers to achieve their greatest potential academically, physically, emotionally and spiritually.
§ Provide and ensure supervision of a safe recreation and play period/area for all students.
§ Maintain accurate attendance and Ontario Student Record files and ensure safekeeping according to procedure.
§ Collaborate in the planning and implementation of the school’s strategic planning and long-term goals.
§ Produce Performance Evaluations for Teachers according to Contracts.
§ Arrange for professional development sessions and coordinate yearly school year calendar.Other duties as directed by the Director of Education (PLEASE CALL FOR A COMPLETE JOB DESCRIPTION).