Job Title: Pork Production (Breeding) Technicians (NOC 8252)
Employer: Sage Creek Farms Ltd.
Sage Creek Farms Ltd. is a Hog Farm operation located in the rural area of Hamiota, Manitoba. We currently have three (3) job openings for Pork Production (Breeding) Technicians (NOC 8252) with at least 2 years experience in the field.
Employment type: Permanent, full time (40 h/wk, 3 vacancies)
Business address: RR 1, Box 133, Morris, MB, R0G 1K0
Work location: In the rural area of Hamiota, land description NW 1-14-24W Hamiota, MB, R0M 0T0
Salary/benefits: $15.50/hour. 10 days paid holidays.
Reporting to the Farm Manager, the Pork Production Technician is responsible for the provision of quality care to all hogs housed in the facility, moving, shipping and receiving of the hogs to the facility, treatment of sick hogs and minor maintenance work as well as carrying out the day-to-day activities at the hog farm. Employees must possess an aptitude for the care and handling of animals, good communication skills and the ability to work as part of a highly productive team
- Carry out breeding and farrowing program to ensure production targets are met
- Maintenance of semen lab, equipment & semen fridges – cleanliness, inventory of supplies & medications required
- Formulate feeding programs
- Co-ordinate daily unit activities for the farrowing, breeding & gestation unit
- Organize workers in unit, keep barn manager aware of farrowing, breeding & gestation activities, progress, problems & requirements
- Ensure accurate records are kept and submitted in a timely fashion to the office (breeding/farrowing cards)
- Ensure the unit’s biosecurity protocol is followed by all staff and visitors
- Maintain a safe working environment
- Recognize livestock health problems and provide basic assistance; recognize and treat common diseases and disorders reporting concerns
- Interpret labels, handle and administer medications and vaccines
- Identify sows/gilts in heat and cycling for optimum breeding results
- Pregnancy check using ultrasound equipment
- Measuring of back fat using proper equipment
- Perform general farm duties, such as:
- Provide water for animals and perform routine maintenance on waterers
- Operate a high-pressure washer and ensure cleanliness and sanitation standards for the unit are met
- Monitor and maintain proper ventilation and temperature using automated control system
- Follow safe manure management procedures when cleaning out manure pits
- Any other farm duties as required
· At least 2 years’ experience in the field is required
· High school graduation certificate or equivalent is required, completion of post-secondary education in pork production would be an asset
· The ability to communicate verbally and written in English is required
· Rotational weekend work is required.
Please send a cover letter, resume and two relevant references to: email@example.com, mail RR 1, Box 133, Morris, MB, R0G 1K0. Fax: 1-855-792-3164
We thank you for your interest in working with us although only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.