Okanagan Language and Culture Instructor
School District 23 Central Okanagan
Under the supervision of the District Principal – Indigenous Education, the Okanagan Language and Culture Instructor will implement curriculum to instruct multi-grade classes, and introduce students to the language and culture of the Okanagan Nation using a communicative-experiential approach. The Okanagan Language and Culture Instructor will provide culturally-relevant activities and diverse instructional strategies to enhance learning at various locations within the District.
Applicants must have:
· completed Grade 12 (Senior Secondary School Graduation);
· one-year post-secondary education, including completion of cultural coursework specific to Okanagan Language and Culture;
· Okanagan Language Speaker – fluent at a level in the Okanagan language that will enable the incumbent to present in a classroom setting;
· ability to read and write in the Okanagan language at a basic level;
· knowledge of traditional Okanagan songs and dances;
· knowledge of Okanagan culture and history with awareness around cultural protocols;
· knowledge and experience with word processing skills and Microsoft Office products (e.g. Word, Outlook, Power Point).
Applicants will be expected to:
· communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
· communicate and build effective working relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders including administrators, teachers, staff, parents, and students;
· demonstrate a high degree of integrity and professionalism;
· demonstrate organization, planning and development skills;
· work with or without supervision;
· travel within various locations within the District.
· participate in Cultural Awareness Training;
· participate in MyEd BC training.
The following would be considered an asset:
· Experience in lesson and day planning, and working with Kindergarten to Grade 12 students in a classroom setting.
Preference may be given to Indigenous applicants of Okanagan ancestral descent who can demonstrate knowledge of, and commitment to, Aboriginal culture and ancestry.
Please complete an on-line application and include a cover letter, resume, copy of diploma and/or transcripts, proof of experience, and three references.
This posting will remain open until filled.
To apply please visit https://bit.ly/2tU9MfJ