TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. TRIUMF is as diverse in its areas of expertise, its people and cultures, as it is in its opportunities for career development, exploration, and growth. We are constantly seeking dynamic team players who thrive on creativity, collaboration, excellence in service, and a busy environment.
If you are seeking a new challenge that will further develop your career as a technical safety specialist; one which will allow you to make a difference to TRIUMF’s core safety program, then you will be interested in exploring this opportunity available within our Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S) team. This team is responsible for providing our management and staff with the tools and information necessary to minimize the impact of our operations on the environment, ensuring a healthy workforce and a safe workplace which enables TRIUMF to maintain excellence in scientific research.
You will be primarily responsible for managing the Fire Protection and Emergency Preparedness Programs. This includes:
· Providing technical input at the planning stage and then operational oversight to ensure fire protection objectives are met and implemented according to regulatory requirements, and that risk to personnel, the environment and the facility are minimized.
· Monitor for compliance the inspection, testing and maintenance program for fire protection systems which is carried out by TRIUMF’s engineering division.
· Implement and monitor the operational fire protection program, to limit fire loads, combustible materials and ignition sources, and promote fire safety awareness.
· Management and oversight of the Emergency Preparedness Program including conducting drills, coordinating with appropriate federal, provincial and local agencies, and providing training for different stakeholder roles.
A secondary function of the role includes providing support for cryogenic and laser safety. Specifically, this entails working as the laser safety officer for laser systems used as part of TRIUMF’s research program, and working as the primary EH&S contact with cryogenic operations to ensure personnel safety. This includes:
- Managing the laser safety program, completing hazard evaluation, approving engineering controls and operating procedures, completing inspections for compliance with regulatory requirements, and maintaining records.
- Participating in the review of the cryogenic safety program and implementing health and safety policies and procedures in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Providing the TRIUMF Training Manager with technical content for additional training for cryogenic safety.
- Perform worksite inspections and provide support for different groups to review and revise work procedures to address deficiencies with fire protection and laser or cryogenic safety.
If you have demonstrated experience with program implementation for personnel safety, and if you have the following knowledge, skills and qualifications, then our hiring committee will want to review your application.
- Engineering principles, knowledge and techniques applicable to personnel safety systems in an industrial workplace
- Experience in implementation and administration of emergency preparedness in a workplace environment that combines both laboratory and industrial hazards
- Sound knowledge of fire protection systems and principles in an industrial workplace
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable regulations, codes and standards
- Knowledge of principles and use of lasers and associated safety requirements
- Knowledge of cryogenic systems and associated principles for mitigation of hazards
- Demonstrated high level of written and oral communication including presentations in group settings;
- Strong analytical skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to influence others and build effective relationships with a diverse team
- Post-secondary education in physical science engineering or applied sciences, with expertise in Health and Safety and a Canadian Registered Safety Professional Designation
- At least 8 years of relevant experience including a demonstrated track record in technical safety roles in a highly multi-disciplinary organization.
- Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
TRIUMF offers a creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant individuals. We are located in Pacific Spirit Park on the campus of the University of British Columbia in beautiful Vancouver, BC. On-site amenities include a café and secure bicycle storage.
- An attractive hiring salary
- A comprehensive benefits package; and
- An excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 611
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until January 31st, 2018