TRIUMF is Canada’s particle accelerator centre. We are an international laboratory for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
TRIUMF is staffed by dedicated people who provide the scientific, engineering and technical support necessary to meet the challenges of our experimental program and operations. Our Cryogenics team provides cryogenic services to TRIUMF’s Cyclotron, superconducting linac, e-linac, and helium recovery facilities. This team is currently looking to hire an early to mid-career level mechanical technician who will be responsible for operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs of the cryogenic and refrigeration equipment.
As the successful applicant, you will be responsible for:
- Troubleshooting failures and malfunctioning of cryogenic equipment such as LINDE TCF-50 helium refrigerators and ALAT LL refrigerators
- Providing assistance and back-up in servicing of the cyclotron cryopumping system with LINDE 1630 helium refrigerator, the helium recovery facility equipped with Linde 1610 helium liquefier, and for our site-wide LN2 infrastructure
- Participating in testing and commissioning of Cryogenic equipment and systems
- Completing Operational Logs and following Operational Procedures
- Performing shutdown maintenance activities
- Procurement of replacement parts and consumables
- Assisting in Cryogenic support for SRF R&D activities
In order to carry out the above responsibilities, our Radiation Protection team will provide you with the on-site
safety training required to be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
- Knowledge of compressors, vacuum pumps, pressure and temperature instrumentation, and mechanical and manufacturing skills.
- Good communication and housekeeping skills and the potential and enthusiasm to learn complex technologies are essential, as is the ability to work effectively as a team player.
- A technical diploma in mechanical or electromechanical engineering technology or a related field, with a general understanding of the refrigeration, compressor and cryogenic technologies
- A minimum 3 years of experience in the operation and maintenance of mechanical and process equipment relevant to the scope of duties.
- Knowledge of cryogenic & refrigeration equipment and of vacuum technology will be considered an asset.
TRIUMF offers a creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant individuals. We are located in Pacific Spirit Park on the campus of the University of British Columbia in beautiful Vancouver, BC. On-site amenities include a café, showers and secure bicycle storage.
The position offers a comprehensive benefits package, a competitive intermediate level salary, vacation and an excellent opportunity to enhance your technical career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
· Subject line: Competition #610
· Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until January 31st, 2018