TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
Currently our Electrical Service Group is accepting applications to fill a Journeyman Electrician position. As the successful applicant you will join our existing electrical team in providing qualified electrical work for installations of electrical and electro-mechanical systems and/or equipment for new projects, and alterations to existing systems.
If you have at least 3 years of Journeyman experience behind you and are keen to grow your career in a unique plant environment within a research setting, then you will want to explore this opportunity. Your responsibilities will primarily include:
· Installing low voltage (LV) and high voltage (HV) equipment and wiring systems, associated controls and protections, conduit and cable tray systems, grounding, building ventilation and heating systems, fans, fire alarm and lighting systems in compliance with applicable codes, instructions, and safety regulations
· Troubleshooting and repairing problems associated with electrical distribution system, electrical equipment and wiring systems, lighting and fire alarm wiring systems, HVAC and water cooling system wiring
· Responding to Trouble Calls and emergencies, both during and outside normal work hours
· Ensuring that the workplace is safe and tidy and follows safe work practices as well as policies and procedures.
You will also be expected to keep current with construction methods of electrical equipment and components, trade wiring methods, installation practices, and maintenance concepts, technology and theory; and maintain familiarity with standard, manufacturer, and regulatory installation and maintenance requirements.
· Given that the position may, on occasion, require electrical work to be done in radioactive areas or on systems involving radioactive components, you will receive an in-house radiation safety training course to be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker (N.E.W)
· For operational and safety reasons the position requires you to have good manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; to have a good sense of balance; good depth perception and color vision; and the ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written English
· Overtime may be required after hours or on weekends
· On-call responsibilities require the incumbent to ideally have a valid BC driver’s license and/or reliable means of effective transportation
· Canadian Inter-provincial Qualification (Red Seal) in the Trade of Electrician or a BC TQ in Electrical Work or Industrial Electrical (Class B minimum).
· At least three years of related experience with industrial plants installations, and/or maintenance as well as a working understanding of grounding methods and power quality issues.
· Experience and solid skills in electrical trouble shooting, and installation of high current, low and high voltage equipment and apparatus.
· Proven safety record required and must have ability to work with minimal supervision
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build effective working relationships
TRIUMF offers a creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant individuals. We are located in Pacific Spirit Park on the campus of the University of British Columbia in beautiful Vancouver, BC. On-site amenities include a café, showers and secure bicycle storage.
The position offers a comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, vacation and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
· Subject line: Competition #618
· Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until January 31st, 2018