TRIUMF is Canada’s particle accelerator centre. We are an international laboratory for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
Our Science Technology Department contributes to the design, development, and construction of advanced detectors for diverse applications. The roots of this activity lie in the development of detectors for particle, astroparticle, and nuclear physics, and also support advanced detector development for molecular and materials sciences and nuclear medicine. Currently, we are accepting applications for a 2 year term FPGA firmware developer who will join our Electronics Development Group and design, implement and debug FPGA firmware and embedded C code for complex hardware modules.
Under the direction of a project engineer, the firmware developer will independently carry out the design of code for complex modules, such as high speed data acquisition modules used in experiment installations or control systems. This includes specifying custom protocols and algorithms for implementation in high capacity FPGAs and/or designing and implementing embedded microprocessor software. The successful candidate will also be expected to:
- Participate in detailed hardware design specification
- Design and implement test procedures for new modules
- Create complete software and firmware documentation to established standards
- Participate in module testing, installation and system commissioning
- Provide ongoing maintenance, fault diagnosis and improvements to commissioned modules and systems in user experiments or control systems
- Demonstrate to experimenters and other users the correct operation of modules or systems.
The ideal candidate will be a proactive, self-starter with the ability to apply specialized techniques and to research and create innovative ways to find solutions to the varying problems the group faces. Other requirements include:
- A thorough understanding of commercial high speed serial protocols such as Ethernet, SONET, RapidIO, and PCI express
- Ability to comfortably use the following programming languages and development tools: FPGA/CPLD code development, VHDL/Verilog, embedded software programming (C/C++), LINUX operating systems and environment configuration, and Windows operating systems
- Good communication and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated sense of timeliness in completing tasks and initiative in work performance and output
- A BSc in software engineering with at least five years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in another combination of education, training and experience.
TRIUMF offers a creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant individuals. We are located in Pacific Spirit Park on the campus of the University of British Columbia in beautiful Vancouver, BC. On-site amenities include a café, showers and secure bicycle storage.
The position offers a comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, vacation and an excellent opportunity to enhance your technical career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada for the duration of the contract.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
· Subject line: Competition #614
· Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until January 31st, 2018