TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. TRIUMF is as diverse in our areas of expertise, people, and cultures, as we are in our career opportunities, and we are constantly seeking dynamic team players who thrive on creativity, excellence in service, and a busy environment.
Our Diagnostics Group provides and maintains beam diagnostic devices in support of TRIUMF’s accelerators and facility systems, providing device and system reliability needed to maintain beam availability. We currently are looking to recruit a Technologist who will provide electro-mechanical support for the operation, maintenance, repair, refurbishing and improvements of diagnostic equipment, including design, manufacture, assembly and installation of new devices. If this is the kind of work that you are passionate about, here is a list of tasks you will be called upon to do:
· Provide hands-on trouble shooting and repair of probes and diagnostics
· Retrieve Fault Reports from the system and perform required actions to resolve the faulty conditions, and produce required records and reports
· Assist other group members in conducting MRO activities and upgrades
· Assist with the design and implementation of diagnostics devices for new projects
· Perform schematic entry and PCB layout under direction of more senior staff
· Procure electronic and mechanical components when required
· Conduct assembly of electronic boards, and perform design, manufacture and assembly of front panels and enclosures as requested
· Perform measurements and tests of the electronic modules according to standard practices or under direction of more senior staff
· Install diagnostics equipment in the field and provide required connections
· Assemble and install various diagnostics cables
· Perform simple mechanical assemblies and installations
· Produce required documentation
· Continuously improve knowledge of existing TRIUMF diagnostics equipment, and pursue ongoing professional development
· Be trained on-site and certified as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker (NEW).
To be effective in this role will require you to have the following skills, knowledge and training:
· A sound knowledge of electronics, electronics assembly including various soldering techniques, installation and troubleshooting
· Experience with electronics test instrumentation
· Familiarity or a working knowledge of electronics design software for Schematic Capture and PCB layout, such as Altium Designer and mechanical modeling programs (Solid Works).
· The ability to perform simple mechanical part manufacture and assembly
· Good communication skills, planning skills and the ability to work effectively as a productive team player
· Technical college diploma in Electro-mechanical Engineering Technology or similar, and at least 3 to 5 years of directly related work experience
If the prospect of working in our Diagnostics group you excites you, tell us in your cover letter where your strengths lie. Then, if selected for an interview, you will be asked to elaborate on your own personal experience and knowledge.
TRIUMF offers a creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant individuals. We are located in Pacific Spirit Park in beautiful Vancouver, BC. On-site amenities include a café and secure bicycle storage.
· An attractive starting salary
· A comprehensive benefits package; and
· An excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility
Applicants must be legally able to accept continuing full time employment in Canada (Canadian citizen or permanent resident).
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 600
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until 2017-10-31