Position: Dairy Herdsperson
Company Name: Ashland Farms Inc.
Business Address: 21 Juniper Ave, Cormack, NL, A8A 2M9
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Salary: $15.60 per hour
Hours: 40 hours per week
Start Date of Employment: As soon as possible
Minimum Education: High School graduation
Positions Available: 2
Job Location (s):
21 Juniper Ave, Cormack, NL, A8A 2M9
Description: As a Dairy Herdsperson you are responsible for feeding, health and breeding programs. In this career, you would maintain livestock performance records and perform all dairy-producing work including selection, breeding, feeding and medicating the animals.
Job duties are as follows but not limited to:
· Perform required pre-milking and milking procedures, ensuring that sanitary conditions exist, particularly in the handling, collection and storage of milk; attaching milking units and making necessary adjustments; keeping accurate and up to date milking records.
· Ensure cattle health and comforts are maintained by treating cattle health problems, monitoring feeding conditions and maintaining the barn.
· Administer medications to promote good health, implement and maintain a feeding schedule, and observe and monitor the herd for signs of stress and illness.
· Carry out breeding program.
· Prepare for calving by observing the cattle and requesting additional assistance when required to ensure the calf is delivered healthily and safely in an environment that has been well prepared beforehand.
· Ensure safety & sanitary procedures followed around animals and machinery.
· Read and interpret cattle documentation, feed sheets and feeding guides.
· Perform manure management procedures by removing, storing and spreading manure.
· Operate and maintain farm systems, vehicles, equipment and farm machinery.
· Other duties as assigned.
· High School education
· Minimum 2 years previous work experience as dairy herdsperson or dairy farm worker.