TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
Within TRIUMF, our Controls Group provides engineering support to our Science, Accelerator, and Life Science Divisions and through them to TRIUMF’s university partners in the area of control systems engineering design, implementation and maintenance. The core work includes use of the EPICS toolkit to produce operator interface, applications, control algorithms, and device drivers. This busy group implements and maintains necessary computer infrastructure for control systems under its jurisdiction, including operator consoles, front-end computers, file servers, database servers and web-servers. A specialised sub-group produces Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) software and installs PLC hardware.
We are currently accepting applications for a junior level Control System Developer to become of member of this team for a 2 year term. The position will be responsible for implementing Control System functionality and working with other members of the group through the planning, assembly, installation and testing stages of projects. The successful candidate will also be expected to:
- Provide EPICS Controls using the standard Controls Group methods, including device modeling, database creation, and building of the operator interface
- Develop software using appropriate programming languages such as C, C++, Java, Perl, and Python
- Perform field test and sign-off of the systems delivered for controls projects, and assist in the commissioning of those projects
- Collaborate within the group and with other TRIUMF experts to ensure proper operation of control systems and components
- Assemble system hardware, implement control system configuration, and interact with TRIUMF system experts for ongoing maintenance and support of existing control systems
- Use the Linux Operating System in all facets of control system development and deployment
- Ensure TRIUMF Safety, QMS, and other standard operational procedures are followed
The ideal candidate will be a team player with broad software development skills, especially those applied to control system development, and a detailed understanding of the Linux operating system and development tools. Other requirements include:
- Solid knowledge of software development and deployment processes and boot configuration
- Familiarity with network infrastructure, such as file servers, firewalls and switches, and basic TIP/IP-based communications protocols
- Experience interfacing with hardware including writing device drivers and using existing Linux device drivers
- Strong time management skills, specifically as it relates to multiple projects with frequent priority adjustments, with the ability to quickly satisfy operational requirements and react to resolve unexpected problems
- Good communication and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to work under tight time constraints
- Ability to work outside of an office environment, using basic hand tools in various accelerator environments
- A BSc in computer science, engineering or physics, with at least two years of relevant experience after graduation, or the equivalent in another combination of education, training and experience.
TRIUMF offers a creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant individuals. We are located in Pacific Spirit Park on the campus of the University of British Columbia in beautiful Vancouver, BC. On-site amenities include a café, showers and secure bicycle storage.
The temporary position offers a comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, vacation and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada for the duration of the contract.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
· Subject line: Competition #616
· Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until January 31st, 2018