Chef for DANI Toronto
Founded in 2006, Developing and Nurturing Independence (“DANI”) started as a parent to parent advocacy group catering to young adults with physical and/or cognitive challenges. To date, DANI is a non-for-profit organization with five Social Enterprise arms catering to the areas of GTA and its neighboring cities.
Our five Social Enterprise arms support our organization’s mission in providing young adults with physical and/or cognitive challenges the training and help they need to fully participate as valued members of the community.
DANI Dairy Delights, one of our 5 Social Enterprise arms, provides meals that abide by the Kashrut requirements and other special dietary needs. At this moment, we are looking for an experienced Chef to join our growing company as we continue to deliver on our promise of providing addictive fresh-baked goods while raising money for DANI Toronto programs. The ideal candidate will have years of experience working with Kashrut requirements/special dietary needs as well as familiarity working with adults with special needs.
As a Head Chef, you will perform the following duties:
• Plan, prepare, and cook menu items as per Kashrut requirements;
• Plan, prepare, and cook regular specialty menu items (Kosher-style dishes, Gluten-fee, Low GL, and other dietary restrictions);
• Consult with management on finalizing menu items based on events or special occasions, as well as seasonal menu items to further serve growing clientele;
• Estimate food requirements and maintaining inventory;
• Ensure the kitchen is fully prepped for service (e.g. cutting ingredients, preparing sauces, marinating, etc.),
• Supervise and lead less experienced cooks and kitchen helpers in garnishing and presenting dishes,
• Train cooks on new cooking techniques specific to certain dishes (e.g. searing, breading, whisking, etc.) and ensuring all kashrut requirements are followed,
• Ensure superior quality of food once it leaves the kitchen; Arrange for equipment purchases and repairs.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
• At least 4 years of experience as a cook in commercial dining/catering establishment;
• Thorough knowledge of Kashrut requirements and kosher dietary guidelines;
• Experience working with adults with special needs
• Completion of Secondary School;
• Excellent English communication skills;
• Post-secondary certificate or diploma will be considered as an asset;
• Must be able to demonstrate culinary abilities and knowledge of above-mentioned, if requested.
• Annual Salary of $39,520.00, 40 hours of work week
• Work/business location: 501 Clark Ave. West, Thornhill, Ontario, L4J 4E5
• Applicable overtime rate will apply after 44 hours of work per week. Overtime may be occasionally required and will be paid accordingly. Be ready to work shifts, which include evenings and occasional weekends and some holidays.
Other than the listed requirements above, we are looking for someone who works the best of their ability and who cares about the company’s goals and values. Does this sound like you?
Please apply with your resume and send it to Dani-Toronto@outlook.com or reply to this ad. Please write “Attention: Application for Head Chef”. Candidates suitable for this position will be contacted for an in-person interview. Please do not contact us directly.