Schooten and Sons Custom Feedyard, located at Land Location: NE-12-10-22-W4, Diamond City, Alberta, T0K 0T0, is seeking 6 Beef Cattle Herdspersons (Pen Checking & Processing Crews) to start as soon as possible.
Terms of Employment: Permanent, Full Time, Required to work days & weekends.
Salary: $21.75 to $25.00 Hourly (depending on experience), for 40 - 50 hours per week. Includes Extended Medical Insurance, Disability Insurance, vacation pay, Performance-based bonuses.
Location of Employment: Required to work in the Diamond City, Alberta area, at the following land locations: : NE-12-10-22-W4, NE & NW-21-10-21-W4, NE & SW-2-11-22-W4, and NE & SW-34-9-22-W. Additional land locations in the area may be required.
Education: No minimum requirements
Experience: 1 year of related experience
Type of Farm Operations: Livestock
Type of Livestock Specialization: Beef cattle
JOB SUMMARY: Expected to check individual pens for sick or distressed animals. Once animals are identified the employee is expected to treat that animal with the correct drug to prevent death or continued sickness. Expected to identify new incoming cattle and associate them with a lot name and number given by the employer, and process each animal with the proper protocol (Drug, Tag and Pen).
1. General administration of herd health.
2. Check pens daily, check cattle for illnesses and injuries, pull and treat with medication where necessary, recording with computer software.
3. Processing/treating cattle with vaccine and other medications.
4. Ensure water systems are operational and repair when needed.
5. Maintain accurate cattle records, quality control/production records, using computer software.
6. Receive new cattle (tag, vaccinate, implant, etc.) and assess animal health.
7. Move cattle when required, sort to ship and load for shipping.
8. May be required to supervise 1 – 2 crew members.
9. Assess and supply bedding when required to cattle.
10. Assist with complex feed rations and formulas to create feed for cattle, mixing different ingredients in each load depending on type of cattle being fed and deliver the feed by feed truck in a safe and controlled manner.
11. General maintenance of yard equipment and machinery used in cattle care, assist with maintenance of pens including scraping/hauling manure as required or bedding cattle, general maintenance of fences, corrals, gates and holding systems
Physical Capabilities: Physically demanding, Combination of sitting, standing, walking
Work Site Environment: Outdoors
Transportation/Travel Information: Own transportation
Work Location Information: Staff accommodation available, Rural area
Essential Skills: Working with others, Continuous learning
How to Apply:
By eMail: email@example.com
In Person between 9:00 and 17:00: NE 12 10 22 W4, Diamond City, Alberta, T0K 0T0 (visit our website for a map to our office)
By Fax: (403) 381-8809
Company Website: www.schootenandsons.com