School District #35 (Langley) invites applications for temporary Aboriginal Support Workers. This position (35 hours per week for the duration of the school year) reports to the District Principal of the Aboriginal Program and works in various schools, acting as a support for Aboriginal students, teachers, administrators and parents in all aspects of education.
• Grade 12 graduation and completion of a two year post-secondary program in Aboriginal studies or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Two to three years related experience working with Aboriginal peoples, including involvement with Aboriginal culture and traditions.
• Thorough understanding of Canadian history and education of Aboriginal peoples.
• Working knowledge of computers.
• Ability to be flexible to meet the varying academic, social, emotional, behavioural and cultural needs of students.
• Ability to determine, judge and select appropriate course of action within established methods and procedures.
• Ability to communicate effectively using tact, discretion and diplomacy in contacts of a difficult or specialized nature.
• Physical ability to perform the required duties.
• Consistent with the British Columbia Human Rights code, Aboriginal Ancestry is a bona-fide requirement for this position.
The rate of pay for this position is $26.08 per hour
Interested applicants should forward a complete application package by 4 pm on Friday September 22, 2017
Please go to the link below for instructions on how to apply.
We wish to thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful applicants will be subject to a criminal record check.